Thursday May 26, 2022 Water Taxi Update: This post is no longer valid
The water taxi schedule does not apply when the road is open.
The Kenai Peninsula Borough, the City of Seward, and the Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management have announced that Lowell Point Road just south of Seward, Alaska is expected to open for two lane traffic beginning Friday, May 27, 2022 at noon. The road will remain open 24 hours a day until Tuesday, May 31, 2022 8:00 AM. Beginning Tuesday May 31, 2022 the road will be closed between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM until Thursday, June 2, 2022 so more blasting work can be done.
The free water taxi service and bus shuttle for Lowell Point residents and those who work in Lowell Point and Seward will not be running while the road is open, but will be offered again during the times the road is closed. However, water taxis will still operate their individual schedules, so if you choose not to use the road, you can pay for a ride by water taxi by calling Aurora Charters at 907-224-3968 or Millers Landing at 907-331-4040.
When the water taxis are operational please note that both water taxis require reservations, and that these services are free of charge to those who live in Lowell Point or work in Seward or Lowell Point. Those individuals who are scheduling nonessential travel to Lowell Point will need to pay for their transportation through a water taxi service provider. Visitor or tourism transport is not eligible for free service.
To stay up to date on water taxi schedules you may check this blog as well as our Facebook page at KPB Alerts.
Aurora Charters: Schedule does not apply when the road is open.
To schedule a resident/worker reservation on Miller Landing’s water taxi (Michael), residents/workers must call Millers Landing at 907-331-4040 to make a reservation for transport. If they are unable to answer the phone, please leave a message with your name and phone number. The office hours of Millers Landing is 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM daily. At the time of reservation, each person will be notified of the location for pick up. This schedule represents the supporting schedule for Aurora Charters. There may be additional availability, residents who have additional needs need to contact Millers Landing.
Water Taxi Restrictions:
The following restrictions are in place for these services:
- A reservation is required in order to receive water taxi services
- There is often water on the landing deck to the beach, and proper foot wear is recommended
- There is a two bag limit per person. This includes groceries and supplies
- No pallets or other items are permitted that may damage the vessel
- No firearms are allowed on the vessel
- No fuel or propane is allowed on the vessel
- All passengers are required to adhere to crews’ directions, signage, and safety instructions
- Be at the water taxi pick up location no later than 15 minutes prior to the boarding time
- #1 Priority is given to residents who live in Lowell Point or work in Seward or Lowell Point. Visitor and tourist traffic is not eligible for free service.
- Those travelling to Lowell Point after June 1 should confirm water taxi availability prior to their travel date
- The shuttle for transport to vehicles in Seward is on a set schedule based on the existing water taxi schedule, special calls are not permitted.
The KPM OEM Call Center staff are available to answer questions related to water taxi services or vehicle pick up. You may contact them at (907)224-4636(INFO) Monday through Friday 8:00AM – 5:00PM.